Friday, July 11, 2014

Ruffle Dress Cake


I wanted to make a cake that looked like a dress, but was not a dress cake, if you get my meaning.  This is actually a rice crispy treat cake with whipped ganache frosting.  The ribbon and rose are Tootsie Roll.  I made rice crispy treats and put it in 2 - 6 inch cake pans and 2 - 4 inch cake pans that were sprayed with cooking spray.  When they firmed up, I just took them out and pressed the 6 inches together and the 4 inches together.

I made the ganache by mixing Wilton Candy Melts together.  Mostly white with some orange and pink melts.  After pouring the cream on the melts and letting the chocolate melt, you stir it and make sure it is mixed together and let it set up.  After that you just whip it up with some beaters and you get whipped ganache.  I smoothed on ganache on each tier.  The bottom tier ruffles are made with the Wilton 104 rose tip.  With the cake on a turn table and the ganache in a frosting bag and the tip attached, put the bigger side of the tip closest to the cake.  I started at the bottom and made an up and down motion while I turned my turn table.

I took about  8 Tootsie Rolls, one for the center and then each petal.  Each Tootsie Roll was formed into a ball and then flattened out.  I rolled one up for the center and then just placed a flattened circle, or petal, on until it looked how I wanted.  For the ribbon I took about 15 Tootsie Rolls and mushed them together and then rolled it out and used a pizza cutter to cut the sides.  I made it the width of a ruler, so I just placed that on the flat Tootsie Roll and rolled the cutter along the longer sides until i reached the length I needed.
*Hint* to find the length you need, take some wax paper and place it where the ribbon will be and then use an edible marker to mark where the wax paper meets.

I took the Tootsie Roll ribbon and wrapped it around the bottom of the top tier and then place the top tier on the bottom one and done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment