Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Mario Party: Lakitu Cake

Hey!  Sorry it has been awhile.  I sprained both of my thumbs, yes that is what I said, both of them.  After that I was immersed in my child's birthday party plans.  Things are less busy and painful, so I can post!

So my child wanted a Mario Party Birthday.  And what does he as for his cake?  A Lakitu Cake.  For those of you who may not know all things Mario, Lakitu is a little guy with a shell that rides a cloud and throws little spiky balls (called spiny eggs) at Mario.


For the cloud I baked two 9 inch cakes and after filling it with butter cream, I marked the top of the cake into thirds.  I carved along the lines to make them deeper, made the top edge of the cake rounded and also carved the sides to make it smaller.  I took the leftover cake, added some butter cream and mixed it together, like cake pops.  I then made a few half circles, about as bit as my palm, that I added to the sides and top of the cake.  I thinly iced the cake in butter cream and then draped it in white modeling chocolate.  Using a black edible Marker, I added the eyes and smile.

For Lakitu, I took a wooden dowel and molded his body out of rice crispy treats and covered in yellow modeling chocolate.  I took some of the leftover white modeling chocolate and colored it a bit to make it a light ivory color.  I rolled it into an oval and cut lines across with a pizza cutter.  I then used water to "glue" it to his tummy.  I made his arms and head out of rice crispy treats and covered them with yellow modeling chocolate as well.  I attached the arms to the body with some toothpicks.  I put the head on the top of the dowel.  I had some leftover brownie, so I made a brownie pop, dipped it in red chocolate and put white chocolate chips to create a spiny egg.  I placed it on the cake under one of his arms.  Since it was a brownie pop, I pushed the stick into the cake to hold it in place.  I put some paper towels under his arms and behind him and let him dry overnight.

Earlier I had made a shell using green chocolate and the Wilton Dessert Dome Candy Mold.  I wrapped the wider end with white modeling chocolate and created the lines with melted chocolate.  Once that was dry, I dabbed water on the modeling chocolate and placed it on his back.  I then pushed in 4 toothpicks to secure it.

I made his goggles, the goggle strap and his hair with black chocolate.  I then used food writers to draw his eyes and mouth.  It was a lot of fun to make!

More to come!!


No comments:

Post a Comment