Sunday, May 8, 2016

Chess or Checkers Cookies


This yummy checkers board is made from the Roll Out Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing and a colored candy like Skittles or M&M's.

For this cookie I cut the dough into squares and baked them.  Dye some of the royal icing with black coloring.  I find that the easiest way to do this is to use Wilton's Black Ready-To-Use Icing.  I then used some edible markers and a ruler to make a grid pattern on each cookie.  Now, I didn't do this, but I should have made a black outline around the edges of the cookies BEFORE filling the grid.  That would have made the cookie look nicer.  


Next I filled in each square alternating between black and white icings.  I did this as quickly as possible because the icing will start to crust and the finished product will have ridges.  Now that wouldn't be bad, but I wanted a seamless look like a real chess board.  When this is all done, I let them dry for about 24 hours.


When everything was dry, I placed the colored candies on the spaces.  All done!  This is a fun way to play and eat with your treats!

*I know that I made a chess board but used checkered pieces, if you want to have red squares instead of white either dye the royal icing red before decorating or use a red edible marker to color the dried white squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment